If you’re missing one or more teeth, then replacing them with dental implants could be the best option for you. Our skilled dentists in Dallas, TX, have years of experience placing these artificial tooth roots for patients who want unparalleled stability and durability from their dental restorations.
At Lakewood Dental Group, Dr. Shaun Sigurdson and Dr. Mihir Patel use high-end technology to expertly guide them during dental implant surgery. This contributes to the overall success rate of dental implant surgery, which allows patients to heal better and faster compared to traditional surgical techniques.
If you’re interested in dental implants, but you don’t know much about them, then you’ll want to stick around. Our Lakewood dentists are here to answer some of your dental implant FAQ (frequently asked questions).
What exactly are dental implants?
Dental implants are small, titanium posts that act as artificial tooth roots. Our team can place realistic restorations–like dental crowns, bridges, and dentures–on top of dental implants to completely restore our patients’ oral function and appearance.
How many teeth can dental implants replace?
Dental implants can replace one, some, or all of a patient’s missing teeth. Depending on the extent of the patient’s tooth loss, Dr. Sigurdson and Dr. Patel may recommend specific implant-supported restorations, such as:
- A dental crown: For patients missing one tooth, we can place a single dental crown on top of a dental implant.
- Dental bridge: A dental bridge may require more than one implant to support it, but it is a great option for patients who are missing two or more teeth in a row.
- Dentures: Patients who are missing all of their teeth may be ideal candidates for implant-supported dentures, such as the ones our team uses with All-on-4® implants.
Am I a good candidate for dental implant surgery?
An ideal candidate for dental implant surgery is one who is in good oral and overall health standing. Additionally, patients must have sufficient jawbone density to support dental implants. Some patients may require a bone graft before getting dental implant surgery, which fortifies the jawbone and establishes a firm foundation for dental implants to take hold.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
The primary benefit of dental implants is their unmatched stability. The titanium posts fuse–or osseointegrate–into the jawbone, effectively making them a permanent structure in the mouth.
However, there are other benefits of dental implants, such as:
- Stimulating nerves in the gums and jawbone
- Preventing jawbone deterioration and gum recession
- Supporting surrounding teeth, which keeps them from shifting
- Filling out the face, which makes patients look younger
- Improving patients’ smiles, overall appearance, and confidence
- Restoring patients’ biting, chewing, and speaking ability
- A lifespan of at least a decade or more!
What is the success rate of dental implants?
Dental implants have an incredibly high success rate of approximately 98%, making them a remarkably effective tooth-replacement solution for most patients.
How do I care for a dental implant?
While patients are healing from dental implant surgery, they should take special care of the surgical site. This will require rinsing with antiseptic mouthwash or rinses and continuing gentle oral hygiene practices. Patients should also avoid hard or sticky foods and very hot foods and beverages.
Once the dental implant is fully healed, Dr. Sigurdson and Dr. Patel can place the patient’s custom-made restoration on top of the titanium post. After that, caring for the dental implant and restoration is just like caring for natural teeth!
Schedule a Dental Implant Consultation Today
If you’re looking for an experienced Lakewood dentist to help you verify your candidacy for dental implant surgery, then schedule your consultation at Lakewood Dental Group today.
Have more dental implant FAQ? No problem! Just call our Dallas dental office at (214) 827-1885, or schedule your appointment online.