At Lakewood Dental Group, Drs. Shaun Sigurdson and Mihir Patel prioritize the comfort and long-term oral health of their patients. For this reason, our dentists in Dallas practice conservative dentistry. By using minimally invasive techniques and advanced technology, they can preserve more of your healthy dental tissue. In turn, this will make your treatment faster and more comfortable with minimal side effects.
Our conservative techniques are just one way that we protect your health and safety. We also practice mercury-free dentistry, use state-of-the-art digital x-rays, and will take all the time you need to help you feel relaxed during treatment.
What is conservative dentistry?
Conservative dentistry aims to repair damaged teeth while retaining as much of your tooth structure as possible. While today’s restorative materials are more durable and lifelike than ever before, nothing can compare to natural tooth roots, dentin, and enamel. Conservative dentists use minimally invasive techniques, remove smaller amounts of tissue, and avoid extraction whenever possible.
What procedures are involved in conservative dentistry?
All of them! No matter what dental treatment you are going to undergo, your Lakewood dentist will always use the gentlest, least invasive methods. At the same time, while our philosophy influences all of our treatments, certain procedures play a key role in conservative dentistry.
- Dental cleanings and exams: Routine dental care can prevent serious issues and help your dentist diagnose problems before you need extensive treatment. We recommend biannual dental visits and yearly x-rays.
- Fillings: Our composite resin fillings not only look natural. The advanced material also enables your dentist to remove less tissue when prepping your tooth for a filling.
- Root canal therapy: Root canal therapy can often save even severely compromised teeth so that you do not need extraction.
- Pulp capping: Pulp capping is another endodontic treatment that may prevent the need for root canal therapy. Your dentist will cover your decayed tooth with a sedative material, which will stimulate remineralization and the natural healing process.
- Post and core treatment: If your tooth is too damaged to support a dental crown after root canal therapy, Dr. Sigurdson or Dr. Patel may recommend post and core treatment. This procedure can furnish a stable base for your restoration, and it often allows your dentist to save a tooth that would otherwise need to be removed.
- Silver diamine fluoride treatments: If your conservative dentist catches decay early, you may be able to avoid a filling. Silver diamine fluoride is a topical solution that can destroy bacteria and help to remineralize your tooth.
- Invisalign®: Obtrusive metal braces are no longer the only option to straighten crooked teeth. Invisalign® clear aligners are much more discreet and can yield the same benefits for your appearance and oral health.
What are the benefits of conservative dentistry?
The advantages of conservative dentistry include:
- More comfortable treatment
- Longer-lasting results
- Less need for local anesthetic
- A higher chance of saving your natural teeth
- More affordable care since you are less likely to need extensive procedures and dental prosthetics
Contact Us for Comfortable, Minimally Invasive Care
At Lakewood Dental Group, we truly have your best interests at heart. Receive the superior care you deserve by scheduling an appointment online or calling us at 214-827-1885.