Today’s top dentists practice state-of-the-art techniques that make dental care easier and more comfortable than ever. At Lakewood Dental Group, we are committed to minimally invasive dentistry. Using highly precise tools, your dentists in Dallas can preserve more healthy dental tissue. For you, this means less discomfort, a shorter recovery, and reduced time in the dental chair.
Drs. Shaun Sigurdson and Mihir Patel pursue continuing education so that they can stay informed about the latest developments in dentistry. Contact our office today to benefit from their skill and expertise.
What is minimally invasive dentistry?
Minimally invasive dentists recognize that natural dental tissue is preferable even to the most advanced restorative materials. When placing dental restorations, they seek to preserve as much original tissue as possible. Furthermore, they can often save teeth that other, less conservative dentists would consider beyond repair.
Minimally invasive dentistry also emphasizes preventive treatments. These can help you avoid more extensive procedures down the line.
Are there special treatments involved in minimally invasive dentistry?
Minimally invasive dentists like Dr. Sigurdson and Dr. Patel are skilled in endodontic treatment. Procedures such as root canal therapy are often the only way to save severely infected or cracked teeth.
Further, at Lakewood Dental Group, we offer several specialty procedures. Pulp capping may be an option if you have exposed, or nearly exposed, dental pulp. This treatment may help you avoid root canal therapy. Plus, it can even stimulate the natural remineralization of your dental enamel.
Similarly, silver diamine fluoride treatments can promote remineralization over areas with mild decay. With silver diamine fluoride, we may be able to avoid placing a filling.
What tools do you use for minimally invasive dentistry?
Our advanced technology greatly contributes to our minimally invasive care. These tools include:
- Digital x-rays offer ultra-sharp pictures and simultaneously reduce radiation exposure.
- Our apex Locator allows your Lakewood dentist to find the end of your dental root within a quarter of a millimeter. This leads to ultraprecise root canal therapy.
- Intraoral cameras afford close-up images of teeth and soft tissues, enabling earlier and more accurate diagnoses.
- The iTero® digital scanner takes digital impressions of teeth. In turn, we can design dental restorations that will require less tooth preparation and tissue removal.
- Electric handpieces are more precise than traditional air-driven handpieces.
- Ultrasonic scalers use vibrations to remove plaque and tartar from below the gum line with little discomfort.
- During fully guided implant surgery, your Lakewood dentist will use digital impressions of your mouth to create a custom surgical guide.
Do you use different materials in minimally invasive dentistry?
Because of our commitment to mercury-free dentistry, we offer composite resin fillings, rather than silver amalgam. Composite also matches our conservative philosophy because it requires less tooth preparation.
What are the benefits of minimally invasive dentistry?
Minimally invasive dentistry has several advantages, including:
- Reduced discomfort
- Faster treatment times
- Less anxiety about your procedure
- More cost-effective care
- Lasting results and better protection for your long-term oral health
Contact Us for Precise, Expert Dental Care
Learn more about minimally invasive dentistry and its benefits. For additional information or to make an appointment with a Lakewood dentist, call 214-827-1885. You can also schedule an appointment online.