Do you frequently wake up gasping for air? Do you often feel tired and sluggish during the day? Do you snore loud enough to wake yourself or your loved ones in the middle of the night? If so, then you might be suffering from obstructive sleep apnea. Fortunately, a trusted Lakewood dentist can help you manage this sleep disorder with oral appliance therapy.
At Lakewood Dental Group, we help patients manage mild to moderate sleep apnea with personalized oral appliances. Our dentists in Dallas, TX, Dr. Shaun Sigurdson and Dr. Mihir Patel, have unmatched training and experience crafting dental devices that help patients get much-needed relief for a refreshing night’s sleep.
What is obstructive sleep apnea?
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a sleep disorder in which airflow is constricted by overly relaxed mouth, throat, and neck muscles. As a result, patients with OSA often snore loudly or stop breathing several times a night. This condition can lead to several oral and systemic health issues, including:
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain
- Mouth breathing
- Impaired sleep patterns
- High blood pressure
- Depleted blood-oxygen levels
- Depression and anxiety
What causes obstructive sleep apnea?
Generally, patients experience OSA because the tongue drifts toward the back of the mouth, which impedes proper airflow. However, there are other factors that contribute to OSA, such as:
- A narrow throat
- Large tonsils or adenoids
- Sleeping position
Regardless of the cause, patients should address OSA with our Lakewood dentists as soon as possible to protect their oral and overall health.
How can oral appliance therapy help?
Oral appliance therapy is a simple yet effective way to manage OSA. Dr. Sigurdson and Dr. Patel can create personalized appliances to keep the tongue from drifting toward the back of the mouth, which keeps the airway open and prevents snoring.
What are the benefits of oral appliance therapy?
There are numerous benefits of oral appliance therapy, including:
- Simple and effective: Oral appliances are an inexpensive and convenient alternative to continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines.
- Improved oral health: Sleep apnea can lead to teeth grinding, which can wear down tooth enamel and lead to cavities and extreme tooth sensitivity. Additionally, OSA can cause dry mouth, which leads to dental decay and mouth sores.
- Better sleep: Patients with bruxism, OSA, or both frequently complain that they never wake up well-rested. Oral appliance therapy reduces behaviors that interrupt sleep patterns, which allows patients to get a full night of refreshing sleep.
- Enhanced overall health: Never underestimate the power of a good night’s sleep! Research indicates that better sleep is linked with significantly improved physical, mental, and neurological health.
See How Oral Appliance Therapy Can Help You
If you’re ready to see if oral appliance therapy is right for you, then schedule an appointment with the compassionate team at Lakewood Dental Group now. We’re ready to help you get the healthy sleep you deserve with custom-made oral appliances. New and existing patients can call our dental office in Dallas at (214) 827-1885, or they can send our team an online message.